03 July 2012

Coming to My Senses: Fireworks



I hear...the band playing strains of Loretta Lynn and Charley Daniels in the distance...the squawk of a mother duck shepherding her little ones through the throngs of people gathered in her home...squeals of laughter from tiny ones running barefoot through the grass...the constant hum of the thousands of people in their own little worlds...

I smell...roasted corn on the cob with its sweet butter and salt...the sharp tang of beer as we pass by the beer garden tent...the bright intoxication of cotton candy wafting on the breeze...

I touch...the canvas sling of my folding chair...my arm with a quick slap ending the sting of a mosquito finding a meal there...the drops of dew on my bottle dripping down my leg...the radiating heat of the day giving way to the hot breezes of this night...

I taste...the salty crunch of my walking taco...the cool cranberry lemonade tickle my burning throat...my friend's homemade chocolate fudge brownies...the hot sticky dough and the flutter of powdered sugar from the funnel cake...

I see...light dancing like fireflies on the ripples of the water...the sun melt behind the trees bringing the soft pink of dusk.....pops of neon glow sticks coming alive in the surrounding dark bobbing along on the wrists and necks of the little ones...flowers blooming in the night sky in a riot of dazzling light....

I feel...happy that our town has this three day festival every year...grateful that I can be up on the deck of my office overlooking the throngs of people trying to jockey for a spot on the grass below to catch a glimpse of the fireworks...glad that my friends could join us again this year to continue our annual tradition of watching the fireworks together...thankful to be living in a country that celebrates our freedoms in this way...honored that there are people who risk their lives for those of us enjoying these freedoms.

Happy Independence Day!

What is coming to your senses this week?

7 comments:

Alice said...

A lovely post! I'm proud to call myself an American, and so thankful for all the freedoms we have because of the wisdom of our forefathers, and the sacrifices of those who fight for that freedom.

I'm not sure we will be celebrating with fireworks this year because it's dangerously dry here.

Enjoy your holiday!

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Lovely, lovely - took me to a very happy place! I am thankful for those who ensure that we stay free, though it saddens me the toll it takes on them.

We celebrated early with family and friends as our daughter was home for the weekend. Nothing like having all of my cherubs at the same address eating a meal together!

Unknown said...

Erin you could write books and keep us all captivated. We just celebrated Canada Day on the first, and our little city puts a parade on every year and I have been going faithfully for the last 10 years, now with my husband and children. There are usually a whole clan of us that celebrate together, it is a great day and a great way to celebrate our beautiful country and all of the wonderful liberties that we have. I hope you have a wonderful Independence Day!

Take care,
Penny

Lola said...

What a beautiful word whisperer you are Erin! Thank you for sharing your lovely celebration with us ... Happy 4th!

Unknown said...

I saw the title and thought "WOW she hasn't done one of these posts in a while!" They are one of my favorites and you totally did not disappoint!

Cyndi J said...

LOVE this post. Simple and yet filled with texture, sight, and sound. It's just like being there.

Unknown said...

You really paint a picture with your words..envy your talent.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin